Our Story

St Teresa’s School was established by the Sisters of Mercy from the Wilcannia - Forbes Diocese (main city Broken Hill) in 1916.

St Teresa's School was named after St Teresa of Avila who was born in Avila, Spain in 1515. She was a great writer who was able to explain clearly her feelings and thoughts about God. Many of her writings are used today in songs.

The first school room was in a small detached cottage in the convent grounds. From there the school moved into a converted conservatory, which served as a church and school for many years. This building later became known as ‘The Hall’ until demolished in 1983.

The first school classroom was built in 1950 and the next in 1961.

Modifications and up-grading were carried out in 1977 and 1979. During 2005 a major building project was undertaken and has brought the school to its present standing.

The Sisters of Mercy administered and staffed the school until 1976, when the first lay Principal was appointed.

With the rationalisation of schools in the South West Region, St Teresa’s School became a Reception to Year 5 school in 1979.

Our school crest

Crest.png

The motto was designed by Bishop Fox, the Bishop of Wilcannia - Forbes. The star symbolizes Mary ‘Look to Mary, Follow the Star’.
‘Duce Maria’ refers to Mary as a leader of Catholics.

The Cathedral in Broken Hill is called Sacred Heart, hence the Sacred
Heart on the emblem. In earlier mottos the name Mercy appeared at the top to identify the school with the Sisters of Mercy.